Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Bocce Pace of Life

I did something yesterday that I hadn’t done since I was a child in my Grandfather’s back yard in upstate New York, I played bocce.  On a beautiful Saturday afternoon at Bent Tree Country Club in Dallas we played our annual Bocce Tournament ~ the Anthony Mungioli Memorial Bocce Club Championship.

While I didn’t even come close to getting my name inscribed on the Club’s Championship trophy, it was a marvelous Saturday afternoon spent with some really wonderful Italians enjoying some of the simple pleasures in life ~ good friends, good food, a spirited competition and a lot of laughter.  While the event was a competition, it was really something more than that to me.


Living in Dallas is this day and age, life can get pretty chaotic.  Family and business commitments can and often do consume my time and for as often as I’d like to just relax, I usually find myself on the run to some meeting or event or commitment.  Taking just a few hours out of the day to go back to a part of my childhood was a really nice break.

My grandfather was a hard working barber who immigrated from Italy.  While he worked hard 6 days a week, he would always take a day to relax with his family.  His backyard was beautifully maintained, his garden was always full and when the bocce balls came out for a game on his manicured grass it was always memorable. 

Playing yesterday took me back to the peaceful times spent with him and it reminded me once again that we should always take time to simply enjoy life and friends and not let “life” wrap us up so much.  I think that’s why I’m enjoying my time as President of the Italian Club so much… whether its food and wine over a meal at the Club or an afternoon spent playing bocce… I am surrounded by people who have a passion for life… and for simply enjoying it and not just living it or letting it live us.

Anthony and Luigi Mungioli (left) with Club Champions Luigi Carleo and Nick Bonvino

Now of course as the Club’s President I have to congratulate our Club’s Champions Nick Bonvino and Luigi Carleo.  They won a hard fought and spirited final match over the runner-ups Anthony and Luigi Mungioli.  And for me, I certainly learned that I need some practice which I can get through the Club’s league held at Bent Tree on Thursday evenings so when we play our next tournament in the fall, I’ll be ready!  Congratulations Nick and Luigi!

No comments:

Post a Comment