Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Truth According to Google and Yelp

Have you ever Googled yourself?  Did you like what you were able to find that floats around about you in the virtual world?  It can be pretty overwhelming to see just what you will find.  In the virtual world, everyone is capable of expressing their thoughts and opinions about everything from politics to religion to sports to people… and to restaurants.  As a restaurant, the Italian Club Dallas exposes ourselves countless times every day to the opinions and reviews of our guests.  If they have a bad experience with us, there are a lot of places they can write about it.

Now combine this with the other thing I’ve seen in my time as President.  By an overwhelming majority, people write to me or talk to me when they have had a bad experience with us versus a good one.  Its human nature and I know I do it myself.  When we are spending our hard earned dollars, we expect to be delighted and when we are disappointed with our expenditure, we want to let someone know that they fell short of our expectations.  When are expectations are met, we feel it’s what we expected anyway and when our expectations are exceeded, we’re happy but rarely do we take time to write that we are.

SO with that, I monitor everyday what is written about the Italian Club in the virtual world.  I have a series of Google alerts set up so that anytime any mention of us happens anywhere virtually, I get an alert.  If we have a problem, I want to know immediately so it can be addressed and corrected.  Recently an alert came across my email that I wanted to share.

The review below was written and posted on Yelp, which is a site where “real people write real reviews” about restaurants.  In this case the reviewer was a gentleman named Rick C.  I don’t know Rick C. and while I try to personally greet visitors every time I’m in the Club, I didn’t get the opportunity to meet him the night he was in.  Yet Rick C. took the time to write about his experience and to me it said that we are doing our job.  The verbatim text of his review is below and you can read it yourself online here on Yelp.

And to Rick C., thank you for sharing and I’m glad to know that we met your expectations.

Addison, TX

5/14/2011
First, I am not a big fan of Italian food, and never have been...BUT...OMG this place has made a believer out of me.  Second, they only have dinner on Wed and Fri nights.  Third, it’s a club so it not your traditional restaurant, just an FYI

Food - The food was absolutely delicious, it was the best Italian food I have ever had...hands down... from the appetizer salad, to the plate of pasta (I didn't think I even liked pasta!), to the pork chop entree..I can't pronounce half the meal they brought us but I will say, I ate everything, and I am not a big eater...the dessert was a banana custard (but with the consistency of a pumpkin pie), topped with a maraschino sauce, soaked in some kind of liquor and was served over a fresh slice of pineapple and quite literally was the best dessert I have had in the past 7 years...probably longer.

Atmosphere was a fun, festive type environment and the people were forwardly friendly. The walls are lined with pictures from Italy, they had a projector set up and were showing slides of places in Italy, they also had volunteers doing traditional Italian dances that night.

Service -This style of dining was different, then what I was used to, We arrived late ...yes you can arrive late, they start serving dinner on Fridays at 7pm, everyone experiences the same meal together, they were going to not let us in but the manager (Vito) asked the chef if they had room for 2 more, and he obliged. They sat us speedily and began to bring the courses almost immediately. Vito visited our table many times to ensure we were fully taken care and happy. And quite interesting, the chef came to our table to check to see if we liked everything.

Experience
This was one of the most unique, non-Dallas, thoroughly enjoyable dining experiences I have had in the past 7 years of living here. It’s like a big Italian family party and you were invited.  If you like Italian wines and art, delicious food, and boisterous, fun, engaging Italian hospitality, then this is the place for you. If you have Italian roots you will feel right at home.

Summary
It is as authentic as it gets here in Dallas...and most any other place I have been too. I believe its Dallas best kept Italian secret, something not to be missed if you are here in Dallas. Grab all your Italian and non-Italian friends and take them here, you won't be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment